LLM (Hons), MBA, FGIA, CIPP/E
Susan is the Principal of Sibenco Legal & Advisory and Founder & Executive Director of Information Governance ANZ (InfoGovANZ). With over twenty-five years experience as a lawyer and advisor, Susan works closely with corporate and government clients to deliver tailored legal and risk management solutions that meet client needs and strategic objectives.
Prior to establishing Sibenco, for many years Susan led large litigation cases and inquiries involving the production of large volumes of documents/data. She draws on this experience to deliver responsive risk management solutions for effective Information Governance and regulatory compliance, particularly in data privacy, cross border data protection and critical incident planning and response.
Susan founded InfoGovANZ in 2016 to break down the ‘information silos’ she observed among professionals, to enable more connected thinking and innovation for Information Governance best practice and help drive more holistic solutions, particularly for data privacy and cybersecurity. For more information – visit www.infogovanz.com.
Susan holds a Master of Business Administration and a Master of Laws, and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional – Europe (CIPP/E). Susan is Chair of Sedona® APAC Working Group 6 – International Electronic Information Management, Discovery and Disclosure, and a member of Working Group 11 – Data Security and Privacy Liability. Susan is a Fellow of the Governance Institute of Australia (FGIA), a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (iappANZ), a member of the Asian Privacy Scholars Network (APSN), a member and graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD).
Areas of Expertise
Susan delivers strategic, practical and responsive advice to organisations in:
- Information and Data Governance – frameworks, policies and procedures to strategically maximise the value of information to achieve organisational objectives, while minimising the risks and costs of holding it.
- Privacy and Data Breach – policies and procedures complying with privacy requirements, privacy impact assessments, privacy-by-design, ethical frameworks for data analytics, cyberattack preparation with critical incident planning and data breach response.
- Corporate Governance – governance frameworks, policies and procedures to achieve organisational objectives.
- Legal Project Management – timely delivery of projects within budget through the effective use of technology and people.
- Inquiries – representing people and organisations involved in Inquiries & Royal Commissions.
- Investigations – providing independent workplace investigations and reports.
- Workshops and Presentations – helping leaders achieve strategic objectives and manage legal risks.
- American Bar Association, ABA Cross-Border Institute – A Primer on Privacy and Data Protection Law and Regulatory Developments in APAC, Presentation, June 2021
- InfoGovANZ – Enterprise-wide Data Searches: tips and traps, Facilitator, June 2021
- Information Awareness Month 2021 – Seminar – Facilitator and Presentation on Information Governance, May 2021
- InfoGovANZ – Role of governance in data initiatives, privacy & information sharing: COVID & beyond, Facilitator, May 2021
- InfoGovANZ – Information Governance Industry Report 2021, Panel member, May 2021
- Information Awareness Month 2021- Information Governance Roundtable Facilitator, May 2021
- InfoGovANZ – IG: Increasing the connection to business strategy, Facilitator, April 2021
- Women in Banking and Finance (WiBF) – Privacy and Data in 2021: The governance challenge, Presentation, March 2021
- InfoGovANZ – Information Governance Frameworks and Implementation, Facilitator, March 2021
- InfoGovANZ – Implementing Ethical AI, the next steps for organisations, Facilitator, March 2021
- InfoGovANZ – IG: Combining Decision-making and Data to Drive Results, Facilitator, February 2021
- InfoGovANZ – Key learnings from 2020 | Actions and Insights for 2021, Facilitator, January 2021
- Information Governance: Optimising the Lifeblood of Organisations, published November 2019 and Governance Directions, February 2020, Vol 72, Number 1
- Data as a Strategic National Resource: The Importance of Governance and Data Protection Governance Directions, August 2019, Vol 71, Number 7
- Big Data, Privacy and Information Governance: Implementing an ethical based assessment? Governance Directions, June 2019, Vol 71, Number 5
- Corporate Governance in the Digital Economy: The critical importance of Information Governance, Governance Directions, November 2018, Vol 70, Number 10
- GDPR: Change to European Privacy Laws and its impact on Australian businesses – Governance Directions, March 2018, Vol 70, Issue 2
- Australia’s new Notifiable Data Breaches Scheme: Is your Data Breach Response Plan up to date? – published January 2018
- What is Information Governance and how does it differ from Data Governance? – Governance Directions, September 2017, Vol 69, Number 8
- Information Governance Leadership – controlling data and information to achieve strategic objectives – Governance Directions, December 2017, Vol 69, Number 11
- Why Information Governance Needs Top-Down Leadership – Governance Directions, May 2015, Number 4
- Master of Business Administration (Exec), AGSM (2003)
- Master of Laws (Hons), University of Sydney (1999)
- Diploma of Legal Practice, University of Technology Sydney (1990)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Tasmania (1990)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional – CIPP/E (2018)
- Legal Lean Sigma® and Project Management (2014)
- Leading Professional Services Firms, Harvard Business School (2011)
- Company Directors Course (GAICD), AICD (2007)
Practising Certificate & Admissions
- Unrestricted Practising Certificate New South Wales, Australia
- NSW Supreme Court, Federal Court of Australia and High Court
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD)
- Fellow of Governance Institute of Australia (FGIA)
- Asian Privacy Scholars Network (APSN)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (iappANZ)
- New South Wales Law Society
- Sedona Conference® Working Group 6 – International Electronic Information Management, Discovery and Disclosure
- Sedona Conference® Working Group 11 – Data Security and Privacy Liability
|Sibenco Legal & Advisory||Principal and Director (2012 to date)|
|Information Governance ANZ||Co-founder and Director (2016 to date)|
|Sparke Helmore||Sydney Managing Partner (2010-2011)
Partner and National Group Leader, Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group and the Legal Technology Support Group (2003-2011)
|Consultant||Consultant lawyer on large high profile commercial litigation disputes (2000-2002)|
|Middletons (now K&L Gates)||Senior Associate, Dispute Resolution and Commercial Litigation Group (1997-2000)|
|Phillips Fox (now DLA Piper)||Solicitor, Construction Group (1995-1997)|