Information and data are at the core of any organisation, but with that data comes responsibilities to protect the information and prevent data privacy breaches, as well as opportunities to maximise the value of data and improve organisational performance.
With a robust information and data governance program, your organisation knows:
- The data that exists and where it exists;
- How the information is managed and made accessible;
- How data is secured and the data risks;
- The information that needs to be retained;
- Which information provides business value.
In order to govern information and both the risks and opportunities that arise, it requires all areas currently responsible for managing information to work together toward achieving the overarching strategic information governance objectives and priorities. This is illustrated in the diagram below:
Solutions for Your Organisation
Sibenco Legal & Advisory offers holistic solutions that ensure proper governance of your information. Services include:
- Conducting an information maturity assessment.
- Developing an information and data governance strategy that covers policies, procedures, processes and guidelines for use, and aligns information management with business objectives.
- Developing ethical frameworks for data analytics involving the processing of data containing personal information.
- Preparing information and record retention policies and schedules for retention and defensible disposition of documents.
- Privacy frameworks, policies and processes.
- Data breach incident response plans including notifications to regulators, customers and clients.
November 8th, 2020
Data and information are increasingly becoming the lifeblood of organisations. However the exponential amounts of data being collected by companies and government alike, together with the risks and[...]
June 1st, 2019
As the law lags behind in rapid technology innovations, particularly in big data, artificial intelligence (AI), machine-learning and the Internet of Things (IoT), there is increasing awareness and[...]
Information Governance leadership - Controlling data and information to achieve strategic objectives
October 15th, 2017
Cyberattacks, data breach, privacy of customers, citizens and employees’ personal information, together with the opportunities to create value from data and information held by organisations – are major[...]
October 4th, 2017
The terms ‘information’ and ‘data’ are often used interchangeably but there are differences in meaning. This article provides an overview of why both Information and Data Governance are important[...]
May 6th, 2015
Preventing data privacy breaches is becoming increasingly important, with the increasing costs of dealing with cyber attacks, IT security breaches, and the subsequent legal actions and regulatory investigations.[...]
May 1st, 2015
Effective leadership of information governance (IG) is key to ensuring that appropriate strategies, priorities, policies and processes are successfully embedded in an organisation, both to maximise the opportunities[...]
February 26th, 2015
Organisations globally are struggling to manage both the opportunities and risks posed by the explosion of data they hold, which is increasing at an exponential rate each year. [...]